C H U R C H R E F O R M S E R I E S
By Biblicism Institute
“Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.” – Henry Kissinger
Picture if you will Jesus.
Can you imagine Jesus firing a machine gun at a group of people? Can you picture Jesus in an F-16 lobbing missiles at innocents?
Do you see Jesus piloting a drone and killing Muslims, other non-believers, or anyone for that matter? Can you picture Jesus as a sniper?
Because if God loved wars, He’d be wrong; but He’s not wrong, so He doesn’t love wars.
THE OLD COVENANT
Some point to the various killings in the Old Testament to somehow “prove” that God always had a blood lust, and that He often commanded the ancient Hebrews to kill in wars.
What they don’t understand is that the Hebrews then were an extension of God’s army on earth. God used them to remove the wicked from the face of the earth. So when they killed on God’s order in specific and directed circumstances – which cannot be transferred to today’s circumstances – it was God’s doing, not theirs.
“The LORD your God is the one who goes with you, to fight for you…” Deuteronomy 20:4
But, as the prophet Zechariah prophesied, with the advent of Christ everything would change.
” ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty.” Zechariah 4:6
JESUS AND THE NEW COVENANT
“The wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.” James 1:20
Ever since Jesus’s birth, death, and resurrection the world has not been the same.
“If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” 2 Corinthians 5: 17
If anyone really knows Christ, he knows there is no such thing as a Just War nor a Just War Doctrine. Jesus’s sacrifice on the cross was for the renewal of the world through peace – hence His name the Prince of Peace – and for the salvation of man’s soul through the New Covenant in His blood – hence life eternal, not death and destruction.
“Then Jesus said to him, ‘Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.’ ” Matthew 26: 52
“You have heard that it was said, ‘AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.’ But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.…” Matthew 5: 38,39
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” Matthew 5: 43-45
“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.” Luke 6:32
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.” Matthew 5:9
FACTS OF WAR TO REMEMBER
Those who push for war in our time cleverly conceal through propaganda their ulterior motives and the reality of war’s devastating effects on humanity.
1) Dead innocents. 95% of all war casualties are innocent civilians. What if you were one of those civilians?
“Their feet run to evil, And they hasten to shed innocent blood; Their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity, Devastation and destruction are in their highways.” Isaiah 59:7
2) Hidden agenda. In war there’s always a hidden agenda that the public at large is never aware of: territorial expansion, control of another country’s resources, control of access to trade to favor a certain group, currency domination, keeping the military industrial machine humming, etc. In one word: Money or Mammon.
“Who devise evil things in their hearts; They continually stir up wars.” Psalm 140:2
3) Personal dislike. If a foreign country’s leader refuses to kowtow to the current Empire’s whims and wishes, then the Empire (presently the US, manipulated or not by third parties) goes on the attack. But instead of the two leaders personally duking it out, that foreign country’s leader is sullied in the Empire’s mass media in order to prepare the imperial citizenry to acquiesce in sending their children to be killed in a senseless war. More often than not, such a war tees off by way of a false flag operation (such as 9/11 and the Gulf of Tonkin incident), designed and executed by the Empire to deceive its citizens and demonize the adversary.
“All wars are based on deception,” wrote Sun Tzu in The Art of War.
“Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil.” Proverbs 12:20
4) Senseless aggression. There is no greater act of stupidity than when soldiers of different flag colors kill each other for no apparent reason. They obey like dumb myrmidons just because low-life politicians with hidden agendas decide they should murder each other. In all other circumstances, their senseless killings of each other and of innocent civilians would and should be called terrorism.
“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” Romans 12:21
5) Economic breakdown. Countries that go to war not only destroy the economies of the nations they attack, but they also wreck theirs.
“Whoever satisfies others will himself be satisfied.” Proverbs 11:25
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.” Matthew 7:12
“Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.” Galatians 6:7
6) Godlessness. In the aftermaths of wars people rebuild and forget God. Europe suffered two World Wars, and the Christian foundation on which that civilization was built has been severely shaken and is in dire need of repair – the Church there is in a coma.
“Sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.” James 1:15
7) Blowback. Countries that participate in wars or send their soldiers to kill in foreign wars are at the receiving end of wars’ repercussions. Destructive heresies and habits quickly materialize and drastically alter their societies for the worst: atheism, feminism, mammonism, drug use, suicide (especially by veterans whose consciences are disturbed because of the murders they committed), societal violence, destruction of the family unit, perversion, etc. In other words, the souls of those who participate in and/or agree to these wars are plunged into darkness or spiritual death, which then engenders ruins in the natural world.
“For the wages of sin is death.” Romans 6:23
If non-Christians want to become murderers and/or kill themselves in foolish wars, which we do not wish on anyone, Christian or not, that’s their free-will prerogative. But we, true Christians, will opt out as we fight for peace with all our strength.
“Thou shall not kill.” Exodus 20:13
If you are in the military and you say you’re a Christian, start taking all of the aforementioned verses seriously.
Then immediately put this into practice:
“They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks.” Isaiah 2:4